Deontay Wilder offers Anthony Joshua $50 million to fight him next
Wow, in a remarkable turn of events, it has now been confirmed that WBC heavyweight king Deontay Wilder and his team have offered unified champion Anthony Joshua $50 million to fight him next.
In the email, Wilder’s co-managers Shelly Finkel and Al Haymon have outlined that Joshua will be paid $50 million against 50 percent of the event revenue. Finkel also confirmed that the deal on the table is a take-it-or-leave-it offer and they have a deadline of 24 hours.
Wilder, who is now ranked as #2 in the RING Magazine’s heavyweight standings, took to his social media account on Wednesday morning to fire a message at his long-discussed rival.
.@anthonyfjoshua Mate! I sent this personally this time just so there’s no miscommunication. Tell @EddieHearn to let you personally check his email this time. BTW I sent Your manager Rob McCracken the email as well. I’m looking forward to our meeting in the ring. #KingVsKing pic.twitter.com/WbH8SB5Qm5
— Deontay Wilder (@BronzeBomber) April 25, 2018
Deontay Wilder’s $50 million deal
It appears that Wilder and his team are looking to call Joshua and long-time promoters Eddie Hearn’s bluff. After Joshua (21-0 20 KOs) previously stated in an interview that he would happily accept a flat fee of $50 million, Wilder’s response comes after he was originally offered $12.5 million by Hearn two weeks ago.
With his stock at a career-high after knocking out Luis Ortiz on March 3rd to retain his WBC title for the seventh time, Wilder (40-0, 39 KOs), has made it clear that he only has his sights set on facing the WBA, WBO and IBF king next.
With the fight already billed to be by far the biggest in the heavyweight division and one of the biggest in all of boxing, Lou DiBella, another part of Wilder’s management team, has stated that the pressure is now on Joshua and Hearn.
“We’ll see how badly he wants the fight,” DiBella said. “Anthony Joshua has said he’d accept this offer. If Eddie Hearn is not looking to stop it from happening, they now have an extraordinary offer to consider.
“In the immortal words of [referee] Mills Lane, ‘Let’s get it on!'”
While Wilder and his team remain firm on their stance that this is a genuine offer for the two heavyweight kings to face off next, Joshua’s promoter is still skeptical over its legitimacy.
Hearn added that in the email sent by Finkel and Haymon on Wednesday, it was stated that Wilder will have full control over the location, venue, and date of the fight. Although Hearn is adamant that they’re happy for Wilder’s team to promote the show, the Matchroom Boxing kingpin has said that he believes this is just one big PR stunt from the WBC champion.
“With all due respect to Deontay Wilder, I don’t believe he has $50m. However, if they actually send some formal paperwork and a contract along with further details on how this money will be secured, we will definitely have to take this seriously.”
Going on to add that he will still be having a sitdown meeting with Wilder’s representatives on Friday in New York, it was also confirmed by both parties that the current offer does not include a rematch clause.
So, while it is far from anything concrete, it appears that we are moving nicely forward to having one undisputed heavyweight king by the end of the year.